Find out about Grocery Store Wars, a memorable 2005 parody video that was created by the Organic Trade Association to help promote organic food to consumers.
You can watch the full Grocery Store Wars movie online for free.
Click the official video above, which was uploaded to Youtube, to see this classic Star Wars parody film in full for yourself.
Grocery Store Wars Movie Release Date
The short comedy spoof film was released on 10 May 2005 just before the May 19 2005 debut of “Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.” movie.
About Why It Was Made
Store Wars (a.k.a. “Grocery Store Wars”) was a short entertaining spoof film made for the web by Free Range Studios for the Organic Trade Association.
The film message is designed to help educate consumers about the benefits of choosing to buy and eat organic produce.
It is meant to share this message in a light-hearted way to help people think about their vegetable and fruit buying choices in their local grocery store.
The movie achieved its goal of viral marketing on the internet sending millions of visits to watch the film on the website and on Youtube.
Who Made the Movie
The 5-minute movie idea was the brainchild of Free Range Studios, makers of the 2003 smash hit The Meatrix (www.themeatrix.com).
The three people from Free Range Graphics credited with the writing credits for the production of the film are:
The grocery store wars film was said to be filmed at a location in Berkley, CA according to IMDB.
Cuke Skywalker takes on Darth Tader in this supermarket-based parody to show you the “Dark Side of the Farm”.
The opening scene starts with you watching Obi-Wan Cannoli asking Cuke Skywalker to help rescue Princess Lettuce from Darth Tater on the Dark Side of the farm.
- Luke Skywalker: is known as Cuke Skywalker (Cucumber)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: is known as Obi-Wan Cannoli (Piece of Cannoli)
- Princess Leia: is known as Princess Lettuce (Head of lettuce)
- Han Solo: is known as Ham Solo (Slab of ham)
- Chewbaccaa: is known as Chewbroccoli (Piece of broccoli)
- C-3PO: is known as C-3 Peanuts (Jar of peanuts)
- R2-D2: is known as Tofu D2 (Slab of tofu)
- Darth Vader: is known as Darth Tater (Potato)
- Anakin Skywalker: is known as Organican Skywalker (Mentioned)
- Stormtroopers: is known as (Eggtroopers (Eggs)
- Yoda: is known as Yogurt (cup of Yogurt)
- Qui-Gon Jinn: is known as Quiche-Gon Jinn (Slice of quiche)
- Emperor Palpatine: is known as Emperor Pulpatine (Carton of orange juice)
- Jar Jar Binks: is known as Jar Jar Mayo (Jar of mayonnaise)
Official Movie Poster
This spoof film will bring back memories for some and is always fun to watch again.
The message about choosing good organic food, from 2005, is still valid today with the current list of Clean 15 & Dirty Dozen foods.
Nonprofits are still involved in helping to promote the benefits of buying and eating organic produce when you shop at grocery stores.
You can also buy organic produce at stores like brandless.com or Safeway. Try using an online grocery delivery service and try to earn cash back to donate to environmental nonprofits using Giving Assistant.