Cotton towels are some of the hardest working linens. Found in bathrooms, kitchens, beaches and spas, they wash, dry, clean and decorate.
As the world becomes more aware of the toll cotton production takes on the planet, however, many consumers are looking for towels made organically in order to reduce their carbon footprint.
Towels made organically are woven from cotton that has been grown and harvested without the use of unnatural substances, like herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers, which are harmful toxins that seep into water supplies, food and our bodies.
If you want safe and natural towels that are as good for your body as they are for the environment, organic cotton towels are the answer. Here are a few top picks.
The Best Organic Cotton Towels in 2021
1. Striped Organic Turkish Cotton 4 Piece Towel Set
A beautiful artisan towel set manufactured using 100% organic cotton, it has a unique two-fabric design that gives it the perfect combination of portability, absorbency and lightness. The stylish striped design comes in three different colors and the towels feature a fringe design.
Generously sized, the organic cotton Turkish towel set includes 4 giant 65-inch towels that can be used as beach, yoga, gym or bath towels.
2. Organic Cotton Flamenco Towel
Lightweight, compact and absorbent, it is easy to pack this towel up and take it to the spa or camping. The decorative design and large size make this towel extraordinarily versatile; it can be used as a bath sheet, blanket, beach towel or a throw for the couch.
Made from 100% GOTS certified organic cotton, it is hand-loomed, uses natural dyes and won’t pill. A drawstring backpack is included for increased portability.
3. Organic Cotton Jacquard 6 Piece Towel Set
Manufactured with GOTS certified organic cotton terry, the 6-piece set includes 2 hand towels, 2 oversized bath towels and 2 washcloths, and comes in 6 different colors you can choose from. The elegant jacquard pattern features a ribbed effect along the borders and twill weave along the hemmed edges, all of which are double-stitched.
Super fluffy, soft and quick drying, this is a great eco-friendly towel collection.
4. Organic Cotton 4 Piece Bath Towel Set
A high-quality bath towel set like those found at an upscale hotel or spa, they are made with GOTS certified cotton for the perfect blend of softness and strength, and double-stitched at the hem to reduce disintegration after multiple washes.
Not only plush, luxurious and durable, this is one gorgeous set of organic cotton towels, coming in 7+ vibrant yet sophisticated colors that will wonderfully accent any bathroom.
5. Organic Cotton 2 Piece Bath Sheet Set
Completely organic cotton certified by the GOTS was used to produce this 2-pack set of bath sheets. Supremely soft and rich, the thicker, heavier luxury weight of these sheets provide an excellent level of absorbency and comfort.
Larger than average bath towels, you will get full coverage that stays in place. Whether you’re wearing it around your waist at the beach or lounging poolside, you will enjoy a truly indulgent experience.
6. Organic Cotton Flour Sack Dish Towels
This 10-pack of eco-friendly organic cotton dish towels are GOTS certified and available in pastel gray, white and creamy white. Not only are they produced sustainably, they have some of the highest versatility of any kitchen towels, and are able to replace paper towels altogether, saving trees.
Use them to wipe spills, dry dishes, cover bread dough or as napkins at the dinner table. Highly absorbent, their performance improves with each wash.
7. Oversized Bath Towel for Kids
Made from organic cotton, this bath towel is highly absorbent, soft and irresistibly cute. A hooded poncho, kids can wear it, which can make bath time more fun when used as a bath robe towel or get them warm and dry quickly when used at the beach or pool.
The towel features a number of fun designs, making it easy to find one for any little one.
Organic Cotton Towels Buying Guide
Don’t let the many choices overwhelm you. Here are a few tips to choose the best towel for you.
1. Make sure it’s the organic you want
Organic towels that are GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certified are made from 100% organic cotton that is free of chemicals, but they are more than that.
Products that are able to feature this label don’t use chemicals in the dyes either and the entire manufacturing process, all the way to distribution is sustainable.
On the other hand, organic cotton towels without this label need to be looked into a little more. They may be made with organic cotton, but unnatural dyes could have been used and the entire towel may not be cotton. Look for 100% cotton clearly written.
2. What kind of organic cotton do you need?
- Standard cotton is for everyday use and nothing special, and depending on the brand, will vary from coarse to soft.
- Turkish cotton is a premium cotton that features an extra-long staple, resulting in a softer edge and a higher level of absorbency, durability as well as comfort. These towels get fluffier and softer with every wash.
- Egyptian cotton is loved for its density. The fibrous threads are extra-long and make for strong and absorbent cotton. These towels are remarkably durable and very breathable.
- Supima cotton is considered the cashmere of the cotton world. Made in the U.S., it is prized for its extra-long fibers which are super strong and absorbent. Rare, only 1% of Supima cotton is organic.
3. Think about weight
The density rating of a towel is expressed in grams per square meter (GSM). The GSM usually varies between 300 and 900.
- 300 – 400 GSM: Nice and light, this is a towel that dries quickly and is good for use in the kitchen or to take with you to the gym. Depending on what you’re using it for, a lower GSM may be best.
- 400 – 620 GSM: A medium weight ideal for bath and guest towels, they are also perfect for beach towels.
- 620 – 900 GSM: Generally considered premium luxury, towels in this range are very dense and absorbent, and can require a little more time to dry because they absorb more water but slowly, over a period of time.
- Ringspun or combed cotton
- Ringspun cotton uses alternate short and long fibers that result in a softer feel for your skin.
- Combed cotton uses the longest and strongest threads for durable towels that won’t pill.
Wrap Yourself in Organic Cotton Towels
Skip the toxins and chemicals by using organic cotton towels. With the many options above, you can confidently wash, dry and clean without worrying about toxins and chemicals hurting your or the environment.
Learn More About Charitable Shopping
If you are interested in learning more about how your everyday online shopping can be used for earning free cash back and supporting your favorite nonprofits, find out how Giving Assistant works here.