You may not know it, but recycled plastic outdoor furniture is a great option for outdoor spaces.
Generally made using a material known as poly wood (or poly lumber), recycled plastic outdoor furniture manufacturers are using plastic waste like shampoo containers, milk jugs, laundry detergent bottles, etc. to mold chairs and tables.
Low maintenance, poly wood furniture will never need to be refinished or repainted and it doesn’t rust, splinter or bend. It is usually UV treated, meaning your patio furniture’s perfect color will never fade, even after spending countless hours in the sun.
Reduce your carbon footprint with outdoor furniture made from recycled plastic.
The Best Recycled Plastic Outdoor Furniture in 2021
1. Polywood Classic Adirondack 5 Piece Casual Set
POLYWOOD is premium brand known for making some of the best recycled plastic outdoor furniture. Contained in this set are two folding Adirondack chairs, two folding ottomans and an 18” side table. The fade-resistant poly lumber has the look of painted wood and is available in multiple colors.
Comfortable and cozy, you will enjoy kicking your feet up in the backyard or at the beach.
2. Polywood Modern Adirondack Chair
Constructed of 100% genuine poly wood lumber, this is a seriously gorgeous chair that only requires two screws to set up. It features a contoured seat and back that provide comfort and a minimalist modern design that oozes luxury.
It folds flat, making it easy to transport to and from the beach or store away when you don’t need it. Whatever outdoor space it finds itself in, it is sure to demand attention.
3. Duraweather Poly Classic King Size Adirondack Chair
Made from 95% poly lumber, UV coated and foldable, this chair is truly built for a king. With 30% more material than other brands, a 350 pound weight capacity and an extended seat for leg and knee relief, this Adirondack chair is designed to provide supreme comfort.
Available in just about any color you could possibly want, it is a perfect addition to any deck or patio.
4. PolyTEAK Oversized Reclining Chair with Ottoman
With a focus on making their recycled plastic outdoor furniture look more like real wood, PolyTEAK uses their own special poly lumber plastic to recreate the feel and look of authentic wood. Comfortably recline and enjoy even more relaxation with the built-in ottoman, which hides away just as easily as it pulls out. Weighting 44 lbs., the heavy-duty lounge chair won’t be blown away by the wind anytime soon.
5. Lifetime Adirondack Chair
Ease into some classic comfort while you catch a great breeze in this eco-friendly chair. 100% recycled polystyrene was used to create this sturdy piece of plastic patio furniture, capable of holding up to 300 pounds.
UV protected, it is stain and weather resistant and the color will never fade. With this chair, you’ll have many relaxing afternoons to look forward to.
6. Highwood Adirondack Side Table
Made with recycled plastic materials, this side table is the perfect size for sitting drinks, books or your smartphone while you sit back and relax.
The recycled plastic is protected from weather, repels dirt and uses a special NatureTex embossing to give you the look of real wood without that waxy feel seen with other brands of outdoor furniture. It is easy to assemble and folds flat for easy storage and transportation.
7. Polywood Outdoor Side Table
Pair this charming table with a chaise lounge, rocking chair or Adirondack chair for a match made in heaven. It is made from solid poly lumber that is durable enough to withstand any weather and uses high-quality marine-grade hardware that is corrosion resistant.
An extremely versatile accent piece, it will be impossible to not love its functionality and visual appeal.
The Buyer’s Guide to Recycled Plastic Outdoor Furniture
With the state of our planet, sustainability is a hot topic and even things that seem small, like purchasing patio furniture made from recycled plastic, can make a positive impact.
Buying recycled plastic furniture is an easy and quick practice you can adopt to help the environment.
1. Why recycled plastic furniture is a good choice
- High sustainability – using plastic already on the planet means you won’t be the reason new plastic ends up in the nearby landfill. You’re also avoiding wood furniture, which saves a few trees.
- Little to no maintenance – there are no cracks, chips or splinters to repair and there’s no upkeep to worry about.
- Inexpensive – since recycled plastic is molded plastic, less work is required to make the finished product, which means it is often cheaper than furniture made from other materials.
2. The benefits of recycled plastic furniture
- Visual appeal – recycled plastic outdoor picnic and dining tables aren’t going to have the high-end look wrought iron offers, but the molds and colors don’t look cheap. Premium brands create furniture with a natural wood look that is sometimes hard to distinguish from real wood.
- Lifespan – recycled outdoor furniture made from plastic will last an entire lifetime (or until you decide new furniture is in order). Sturdy and durable, it is made to withstand years of abuse and is a fantastic choice for people with large families, children, pets or who enjoy hosting events.
- Climate resistant – as one of the most durable materials, recycled plastic furniture is capable of handling salt spray, blazing heat, extreme cold, snow and rain. The worst thing that needs to be done is probably wiping off snow or water.
3. Care and cleaning
Taking care of and cleaning poly wood furniture is an easy task that you won’t have to do often.
- General cleaning – when it is time to clean your furniture, you’ll need warm water, soap and a washcloth or sponge. If you need to get into any creases and crevices, a soft bristled brush is recommended.
- Tough stains – if you are having trouble removing a stain, make a cleaning mixture containing two parts warm water and one part bleach to get after it. There will be no effect on the furniture’s color.
- Thorough cleaning – for a deep clean, use a pressure washer at or below 1500 psi
Outdoor Furniture at One with Nature
The amazing chairs and tables above highlight the very best of recycled plastic outdoor furniture: it looks great, doesn’t take a lot to maintain, is typically cheaper than non-recycled patio furniture and is great for the environment. What’s not to love?