Water bottles are the companions of everyone from office workers to outdoor enthusiasts. Depending on the bottle you’re using, however, you could be hurting the planet.
Disposable or single use plastic water bottles are a huge issue that harm our oceans and marine life, along with other parts of the environment.
Getting rid of plastic disposable water bottles is a major way to help the world around you. Reusable water bottles are a great solution that will save you money, but even then, can you be sure your water bottle isn’t negatively impacting the environment?
If you want to prioritize the environment, avoid plastic and get enough water with these eco-friendly water bottle options.
The Best Eco-friendly Water Bottles in 2021
Made with food-grade stainless steel and BPA-free, non-toxic plastic, this trusted reusable bottle comes in over 15 colors and a lifetime warranty.
Great for outdoor adventures and travel, the 32-ounce bottle has a wide mouth and flex cap with strap that makes it easy to stay hydrated when you’re on the move. Vacuum insulated, it keeps drinks hot for 12 hours and cold for up to a full day.
2. LifeStraw Go Water Bottle with Filter Straw
This eco-friendly reusable plastic water bottle has a two-stage filtration system that guarantees you will have clean, safe drinking water wherever you are.
One stage uses a BPA-free fiber membrane filter that removes microplastics, protozoa and bacteria from water (like streams and lakes) making it great for hiking or backpacking. The other stage uses an activated carbon filter to reduce organic chemicals and chlorine for better-tasting tap water.
3. Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Water Bottle
Recyclable, non-toxic and BPA-free stainless steel is used to make this 18-ounce bottle. Highly portable, compact and lightweight, it can easily be slipped into a cup holder, bag or even a bike cage and the included sports cap makes taking a sip easy.
The large mouth makes it easy to clean and makes using ice cubes a breeze. Affordable, durable and available in a ton of colors, it is one of the best eco-friendly water bottles.
4. S’well Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle
Designed with a triple-layer construction to eliminate condensation, this 17-ounce bottle keeps beverages hot for as long as 12 hours and cold up to 24 hours. It’s made from high-quality, BPA-free stainless steel and is available in some truly gorgeous colors.
Beautifully crafted and built to last, everything about this insulated stainless steel water bottle screams luxury, even the fact that it can’t go in the dishwasher.
5. Brieftons Glass Water Bottles – 6 Pack
Lead-free, these glass bottles have an extra wide mouth, which makes for easy cleaning and also allows you to put more than water inside. The perfect kitchen tool for fermentation or creating smoothies, coffee or tea ahead of time, you can easily store them just about anywhere – fridge, cup holder or freezable lunch bag – and they look great.
Terrific quality, the glass water bottles are solid and thick, and come with a cleaning brush for convenience.
6. Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle with Sleeve
Use this 22-ounce, BPA-free glass bottle for a pure taste free from metal or plastic leaching. Designed for everyday style, it comes with a protective silicone sleeve (in over 14 colors) that gives you a confident grip on the bottle and keeps it from slipping and breaking.
The wide mouth is large enough to drop in fruit, tea bags and ice cubes and it is easy to clean, though the bottle is dishwasher safe.
7. Yomious Glass Water Bottle and Sleeve
Constructed from borosilicate glass, this eco-friendly glass water bottle is lightweight, strong and free of lead, cadmium and BPA. It comes with a silicone sleeve that is available in 10 different colors; it adds style to the minimalist design and provides protections from accidents.
The leak-proof bamboo lid is another visual highlight that is also very functional, especially with the attached strap that makes carrying it in hand easier.
Eco-Friendly Water Bottle Guide
Reusable water bottles are not new but with so many options available, things can get confusing. After this crash course, you’ll know which reusable water bottle is right for you and why they are so important.
1. Are eco water bottles necessary?
If you care about the environment, the answer is yes! There are a lot of reasons why people switch to water bottles that are environmentally conscious.
When you use eco-friendly bottles:
- Plastic residue doesn’t leak into the environment. Single use water bottles end up in the trash and trace deposits of plastic end up in our water and soil, which can be toxic for animals and plants.
- You protect your health. Environmentally conscious bottles are BPA-free, keeping you safe from chemicals and materials that can cause sickness.
- Drinks taste better. Disposable plastic bottles aren’t designed for long-term use and have a weak structure that breaks down, contaminating drinks with plastics.
- Save money. Buying packs of drinking water may seem cheap but one reusable water bottle lasts a long time. If you buy one with a filter, you can ensure you and your family have clean drinking water no matter your location.
2. Choosing an eco-friendly water bottle
Here are the most popular materials used to make eco water bottles. Which is right for you?
- Stainless steel. Long-lasting, durable and recyclable, most of these are dishwasher safe. Great for people who love outdoor activities or casual users, they come in a variety of styles and colors. Keep in mind that they will heat up when holding hot drinks and are heavier than other options
- Glass. These bpa-free bottles can hold hot and cold liquids with no problem and don’t absorb color or taste. They have a great look, but because they are breakable, they tend to be the best choice for less active people or for use in the kitchen or around the house.
- Plastic. Light, inexpensive and freezable, it is great for high-activity people (children and athletes) and events (sports matches), but they aren’t always safe to hold hot liquids.
- Aluminum. The perfect choice for runners, travelers and bikers, aluminum bottles are lightweight and use carabiner tops that easily attach to bikes, bags and belts. They don’t offer as much insulation as stainless steel and get banged up pretty easily.
Eco Water Bottles Are a Must!
If you are done with disposable plastic water bottles, try one of these eco-friendly water bottles for cleaner, better tasting water and a positive impact on the earth.