Get enviously smooth skin, speedy weight loss, and bounds of energy with coconut oil!
Lately, it seems like we just can’t read a health magazine without being hit by at least 8 coconut oil ads. In lotions, shampoos, face washes, you name it, coconut oil is making a serious splash in the holistic health world. While its health and beauty magic has been used for ages, coconut oil has only recently earned a shining place in the spotlight of modern health news and social media.
We’ve been onboard the coconut train for awhile now, but wanted a deeper understanding of how and why this amazing oil brings such positive results.
Coconut Oil for Weight Loss? You Can’t be Serious!
Well, we are. We’re not talking about those icky partially hydrogenated oils in fast-food french fries your mother warned you about. No, no. This is the real deal.
When you cook with coconut oil instead of other oils, you are essentially pushing your metabolism into gear. Chemically, coconut oil is made up of fatty acid chains that are either short or medium in length. Translated into English, that means: they are easier to digest, which increases your metabolic rate. Voila! A high metabolism leads to greater weight loss.
Coconut Oil Kick-starts Your Energy
When you’re feeling sluggish, your first thought for recovery may be: caffeine… lots and lots of caffeine. Before you fill up the coffee machine, consider this: coconut oil is an amazing source of energy that will last you longer.
Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs, that travel directly to the liver and are turned into energy. It is a powerful and tasty addition to smoothies when you need that extra boost. Still craving coffee? We’ve been there. Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to your coffee or tea to enhance its energizing effects.
Soothe Your Grumbling Belly – Coconut Oil Combats Digestive Problems
If you are sitting with a heating pad on your stomach, eagerly sipping chamomile tea, or hoping no one notices it’s your 4th trip to the ladies room, we feel for you. It may be time to retire your Pepto-Bismol and exchange it for coconut oil.
Health experts report incredible success when using the oil to treat patients with digestive issues, such as IBS and gas. The special fats in coconut oil help your body absorb nutrients that aid digestion.
On top of that, coconut oil is naturally antimicrobial, which means it can fend off parasites, bacteria and fungi that cause indigestion.
Coconut Oil Can Help to Lower Cholesterol
The use of coconut oil is an effective, safe, and natural way to lower cholesterol.
- One of the MCTs in coconut oil, lauric acid, has been shown to increase the good cholesterol in your blood and lower the bad.
- Coconut oil can help to regulate the thyroid. If out of balance, the thyroid can contribute to higher levels of bad cholesterol in your body.
Coconut Oil Improves Brain Function
A groundbreaking study published in the journal, Neurobiology of Aging, concluded that the MCTs in coconut oil improved brain function in people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Just one single dose had immediate effects.
Here’s how it works: as we get older, our brains have more trouble metabolizing glucose for energy. MCTs in coconut oil create ketones that can be used as fuel in the brain when glucose is unavailable.
Beauty Booster: Coconut Oil Transforms Skin and Hair
Our Top 3 Tips to Add Coconut Oil to Your Beauty Routine:
- Rub it directly on dry patches of skin for an instant smoothing effect. We tried it as a foot massage. Goodbye calluses, hello sandal-ready feet!
- Save money and go natural by using coconut oil as makeup remover. We tried applying it around our eyes for eye makeup removal. It moisturized the surrounding delicate skin and left us fresh and bright-eyed!
- Create your own hydrating hair mask. Use your hands to run the coconut oil through each strand and massage into your scalp. Leave in for 20 minutes for deep conditioning, or rinse out with shampoo for hair oh so smooth, soft, and shiny.
Where to Buy Coconut Oil
Now that you’re crazy for coconuts, we thought we’d share our favorite brands.
- Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, available at Amazon.
- Spectrum Naturals Organic Coconut Oil, available at Walmart.
- Garden of Life Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, available at Vitacost
Cheers! We may have just added dollops of coconut oil to our cups of tea. Oh, and a dab of the oil under our eyes. In fact, there’s suddenly an awfully strong scent of coconuts wafting through our office. But hey, our brains will be functioning optimally.