A solid rotation of healthy crock-pot recipes is every busy cook’s best friend. Let’s be honest, wasting gorgeously perfect summer days slaving away in the kitchen is a serious no-no. Who would you rather be … isolated, loner chef or summer’s most social butterfly?
Okay, okay, we might be exaggerating a bit. The point is, a crock-pot is your solution to cooking delish meals while never missing a moment in the sun. We have 6 reasons this handy cooking device is a worthy kitchen sidekick.
Preparing for a classy garden party, but your friends relentlessly insist you join them at the beach? Stop being stubborn already and ditch the apron!
With these healthy crock-pot meals, you can quite literally toss in all ingredients and walk away.
Easy-Peasy, Healthy Crock-Pot Recipes
1) Pulled Pork
Mmmm, pulled pork. You have GOT to try this!
- Rub about 4 pounds of pork roast with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little brown sugar. Add chili powder for a kick!
- Chop 2 onions and place around the roast.
- Options for cooking liquid:
- Can of dark beer poured onto the roast will result in a nice traditional flavor.
- Can of pineapple juice can be substituted for a fruity Hawaiian taste.
- Cup of apple cider vinegar can be used for a tart taste.
- Cook everything on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Use a fork to shred the meat and remove any bones.
- Mix in your favorite BBQ sauce and let it cook on low for 1 more hour.
- Serve your pork on delicious potato rolls. This healthy crock-pot recipe serves 10-12.
2) Chicken Tortilla Soup
When you think of chicken soup, you may picture frosty, stormy nights and a cold (perhaps runny) nose. Hear this: chicken soup is not limited to winter meals and sick-day sipping. Add a twist of lime, wedge of avocado, and dollop of sour cream for an instant summer soup hit!
- Place 2-3 chopped chicken breasts into the crock-pot. Add chopped green chile, a can of beans, corn kernels, chopped tomato, onion, garlic, and a pinch of your favorite spices.
- Pour 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of water on top. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Squeeze at least 2 large limes into the soup and add a handful of cilantro.
- To serve, pour into a bowl over tortilla chips. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top.
- Sliced avocado and a big spoonful of sour cream served as garnish completes the meal. This simple & healthy crock-pot soup serves 4-5 people.
3) BBQ Ribs
This recipe is ridiculously easy. Other than utter laziness, you have no excuse to skip it.
- Rub down the 3-4 pounds of ribs with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little chili sauce.
- Place in the crock-pot with about 1/2 cup of dark beer.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Cover the ribs in barbecue sauce and bake at 350 degrees for just long enough that the sauce starts to caramelize. This healthy crock-pot meal serves 6-7 people.
4) Mac and Cheese
If you don’t love Mac and Cheese, there’s probably something wrong with you. This all-time favorite is virtually painless to prepare.
- Coat the crock- pot in non-stick spray.
- Mix 3 cups of milk with 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add 1 beaten egg. Season everything with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Pour this over 1 box of macaroni in the crock-pot and add a tad more cheese on top.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
5) Healthy Crock Pot Oatmeal Recipe: Loaded Berries
A tangy breakfast treat that is so simple to complete. Try cooking it overnight for a quick breakfast the morning of that camping trip. Delicious and healthy crock pot breakfast recipes can be a pain to find, but this one is a winner every time.
- Pour 2 cups of steel-cut oatmeal into the crock-pot.
- Add 6 cups of water and a pinch of salt, as well as a ½ cup of brown sugar.
- Try a pinch of cinnamon for extra sweetness.
- Stir well and let cook on low for 8 hours.
- Before serving, stir in about a ½ cup of whole milk and top with a healthy portion of seasonal berries.
Then there is the beloved chili bowl. This ever-popular crock pot healthy dinner is a picnic food classic!
- Add 2 pounds of ground beef to 2 cans of tomato sauce in a crock-pot.
- Chop up a large onion, a bell pepper, and a couple cloves of garlic. Add them to the pot, along with 2 cans of your favorite beans.
- Pour a ½ cup of water or broth on top. Season everything with a mixture of salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, and cumin.
- Stir well and let cook on low for at least 8 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese on top. This will easily serve 8-10 people.
TIP: Find crock-pots at Sears, Walmart, and Macy’s. Some suppliers, such as Amazon, will even deliver fresh ingredients to your doorstep!
Make these healthy crock-pot recipes a summer staple!
We might just make these dishes the only meals we prepare all summer. Berry oatmeal for breakfast, chili at the company picnic, and BBQ ribs for the 4th of July party! Done. This season, these scrumptiously healthy crock-pot meals will ensure you never waste a day indoors. You can find more healthy crock pot recipes and tips at Whole Foods or on these Pinterest recipes.