Tired of the typical (rather dull) lemon and butter grilled salmon dish? We’ve got great news: these 4 zesty, fresh grilled salmon recipes will make you fall for fish all over gain. But wait, it gets better: we’ll show you how salmon is packed with health enhancers … from mood boosting brain benefits and wrinkle-free skin to cancer prevention and heart health!
Salmon meals don’t have to be predictable. Bring this classic fish staple to life with surprising tastes of brown sugar & soy sauce, lemon & dill, ginger, and more!
Before we get into the mouth-watering details, we’d like to share why salmon is one of the healthiest foods out there, as well as which type of salmon to choose to avoid contamination.
Health Benefits of Salmon
Just one 4 oz serving of salmon contains:
- 2 grams of omega- 3 fatty acids (see below for the mind-blowing benefits of omega-3s)
- A full day’s worth of the optimal Vitamin D dosage for adults
- Over half of the necessary daily intake of B12, niacin, and selenium
- High levels of B6 and magnesium
Salmon has an unusually high concentration of the omega- 3 fatty acid, DHA. Many researchers consider DHA to be the most important fat in the human brain! This incredibly potent boost of DHA makes salmon the #1 healthiest fish in the sea and a powerful addition to your diet.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids Health Benefits:
The health boosting benefits of omega-3 fatty acids are so extensive, we should really write a full article on the topic! We know you’re eager for those tasty grilled salmon recipes, so we’ll do our best to give a short and snappy overview.
Adding omega-3s to your diet, via fish or supplements, significantly improves brain function, nourishes hair, skin, and nails, keeps your heart healthy, protects your eyes, prevents cancer, and soothes the symptoms of PMS in women. Whew! With such outrageously positive health claims, it almost seems too good to be true. We’ve got news for you: it’s the real deal, and it’s an essential component to attain your happiest, healthiest self.
1) Brain = Improved memory in Alzheimer’s patients, mood regulation for bipolar disorder, recovery from depression, lower levels of aggression, and improved learning and focus for children with ADHD.
2) Beauty = Nourishes hair follicles and dry scalp for shiny, flake-free locks, reduces acne, and prevents wrinkles.
3) Heart, Eye, and Women’s Health = Decreases the risk of heart attack, stroke, heart arrhythmia, macular eye degeneration, and dry eye. Reduces pain of PMS and menstruating.
4) Cancer Prevention = Helps prevent onset of colorectal cancer, prostrate cancer, breast cancer, leukemia, multiple myeloma, and non-Hodgkins lymphoma.
Why it’s SO Important to Buy Wild Caught Salmon
Farmed vs. Wild Caught Salmon
Farmed fish are not only fed artificial, unhealthy diets, but are also much less potent in omega- 3s. Here are the super-important reasons you should choose wild caught salmon over farmed salmon:
According to nutrition expert, Dr. Mercola:
- Farmed salmon are fed grain products, such as corn and soy (most of which are genetically modified), artificial coloring and chicken meal. This diet is extremely unnatural for fish, and so makes them sick (whenever you eat something sick, you are harming your own body!).
- Due to overcrowding, farmed fish are exposed to more diseases (and so, are given more drugs).
- Farmed salmon have low levels of omega-3s while wild caught salmon’s levels are very high.
For Mercola’s full article on farmed vs. wild salmon, click here.
Choose wisely when selecting the type of wild salmon, too!
The absolute cleanest, purest type of wild salmon is wild Alaskan salmon. When tested for contaminant consumption risk, wild Alaskan salmon was found to be in the lowest risk category for wild caught salmon.
4 Deliciously Easy Grilled Salmon Recipes
So, now you’re totally hooked on the astonishing health perks of salmon and armed with the details on choosing the wild caught variety. Let’s get you those scrumptious grilled salmon recipes!
#1 Soy Sauce & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Salmon
This recipe is both salty and sweet.
Use 1/3 cup each of the following ingredients:
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
To add flavor:
- Lemon pepper
- Garlic powder
Directions (makes 1 ½ pounds of fish): 1) Dust your fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder and salt on both sides. 2) Stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water and vegetable oil in a small bowl. 3) Pour your soy sauce and sugar mixture you created into a shaking bag. 4) Put your fish in the bag with the sauce ingredients. 5) Refrigerate your marinated fish for at least two hours. 6) Preheat grill and oil the cooking grate. 7) Place salmon on the warm grill and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side.
Tip: When done, the fish should easily flake with a fork. Be careful not to overcook it.
#2 Dill and Lemon Grilled Salmon
A surprising twist on the classic lemon and butter salmon dish, this recipe adds dill for a refreshing burst of flavor.
Good- to- Know Cooking Tip: You can use salmon steaks instead of fillets to avoid them falling apart when cooked. If not, be sure to avoid a mess by cooking grilled salmon in foil or on a seafood cooking rack.
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest,
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
Directions: 1) Preheat your grill. Combine the lemon juice, zest, oil, dill and garlic in a large shaking bag. 2) Add salmon into the bag and mix it around while rubbing the fish. 3) Refrigerate to marinate for two hours. 4) Make sure all salmon fillets or steaks are thoroughly covered with the rub.5) Wondering how long to grill salmon? When you place the salmon on a hot grill, you need to cook it about 4-5 minutes on either side.
Tip: You can tell your fish is done when it easily flakes with a fork and is light in color.
# 3 Brown Sugar & Mustard Glazed Grilled Salmon Steak
The brown sugar coating of this grilled salmon steak recipe makes it seriously sweet, while the mustard adds a pop of tangy tastiness.
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons hot mustard or Dijon mustard
Directions: 1) Fire up your grill until your coals are red-hot. 2) Wisk together the brown sugar, hot mustard and soy sauce in a medium bowl. 3) Transfer 1 tablespoon of the first three ingredients into a second smaller bowl. 4) Then, add the rice vinegar to it and set it aside. 5) Brush one side of the steaks with half the glaze in the medium bowl. 6) Place the fish slabs glaze down onto the grill. 7) Cook until slightly charred, approximately 4 minutes. 8) Brush the unglazed side the same way you did the first side. 9) Turn fish steaks over and cook for 5 minutes longer than you did on the first side. 10) Once salmon is slightly opaque in the center, remove it from grill. 11) Remove the cooked fish from heat and place on plates. 12) Spread the remaining glaze over each steak and let them stand for a few minutes.
#4 Ginger Grilled Salmon Fillets
The hint of ginger in this grilled salmon dish creates a touch of zesty spice.
Note: It’s highly recommended that you use a grill basket to prepare this dish. Otherwise, cook it in a broiler.
- 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and ginger
- 1/3 cup each cup of soy sauce and orange juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 green chopped onion
- Use this on approximately 1 ½ salmon fillets
- If you like, grease your grill with olive oil
Directions: 1) Mix together the ginger, garlic power, soy sauce, orange juice and honey. 2) Place the onions in a separate bowl and chill until you need them. 3) Cook the salmon on the grill for 10 minutes on each side after you coat the grate with olive oil. 4) Periodically brush the pieces of meat with the ginger sauce you prepared. 5) Remove the fish from the grill when done. 6) Sprinkle chopped green onion over the top.
Remember, practice green grilling!
Yes, you’re doing a huge favor to your health by eating salmon, but grilling food creates some sneaky health hazards. Read our Top 4 Tips for Green Grilling to find out how to make grilling healthy (and eco-friendly … we need to keep the environment healthy, too!).
We hope you enjoy these delightful grilled salmon dishes and the perks of those omega-3 fatty acids: hello, sharp brain, shiny hair, and healthy heart!